Wreck at the course "flashback"

An afternoon call to hit the links is a call I look forward to and can never get enough of. On this particular day my buddy, we'll call him Mike for identity purposes, called to hit Green Valley, a local course, with another friend, Zach.

Pulling into the parking lot I noticed I was the first to arrive on this day. Getting my shoes tied and picking the right ball to use was interrupted by Zach scorching down the drive. Halting to the spot on my left he gave the ol "What's up man" and I continued to get ready. We both finished up and headed to the clubhouse to pay our fees when the employee asks, "Walking or riding?" Personally I will walk about 95% of the time if I could, but on this day knowing we had three and Mike likes to ride, we paid for the extra cart.

Turning the key and steering my way back to pick up my clubs, we finally see Mike pulling in. He steps out and says, "I wanted to walk today." Nothing we could do now with our money all ready headed towards the bank by now, we waited for him to come back. Mike was driving alone today.

The carts were juiced up on this day we noticed. The wind was coming a little faster. We'd run them hard as well like a rented car with full insurance. I think we mentioned how fast they were atleast 5 times.

On the 6th hole there is a slight bend before the tee. Mike sped off and left us lagging behind. He jammed the brakes and spun sideways blocking our path. Looking over at Zach I knew we were not stopping for his slight devilish grin had all ready decided. Mike stood up on the side of his cart (passenger side) and knew as well I think. As the cart collided with Mike's, Mike jumped off the back stumbling for balance. Laughter filled the air, except Mike was slightly shaken.

Green Valley is a course filled with trees and stumps all around. Drive responsibly is the theme when playing this course. Important for the next paragraph.

Finishing the 8th hole with a par I resided back to the cart as the other two tried to finish their putts. Mike grabbed his ball and ran for the cart. Dukes of Hazzard style he jumped in and sped off around our cart. His evil laugh as he went by was nothing compared to the terrorized scream that followed as he hit a stump. It slid his cart side-ways and directed him to a tree. My mind was in awe, and thinking take your foot off the pedal, Mike continued his path at full speed. The impact was sensational. Mike launched forward. The tree stopped him for exiting the cart. (His head hit first, shoulders crumpled after, and then his arms flailed) He did not fall to the ground. He stayed on his feet!!!! I was paralyzed with laughter in my cart. I truly thought I was going to pee, and maybe even did a little...
Zach was in shock he said on the green ( I wouldn't have known for my paraylzed state. Zach said the only reason he saw it was he heard this scream that made him turn around). There was a gentleman on another hole that heard the crash and came over to see if Mike was okay. This guy was about 200 yards away!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike collected himself and got back on the horse. We noticed right away the cart wasn't the same. Mike could no longer turn left the same.

Needless to say Mike didn't finish the final hole. He putted up to the clubhouse and went into tell of his accident. The people were already waiting for him as the story had already gotten back.
$165 and an accident report, Mike would forever be hailed as the driver at Green Valley. As soon as he got back to the car with us he simply said, " I didn't even want to rent a cart today."

Mike is doing fine today and has learned not to drive too fast. He suffered a concussion and a hit to his ego on the course. We still love him though.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for telling that story to the world. but I would have to say you did it well. Leave it to you to tell a story about me.

Popular posts from this blog

A Fond Farewell

Just the Three of Us

Friends