Footprints



Pulling up to the beach front of Lake Michigan you are taken away by the beauty that this lake presents as it's waves roll atop of the sand. Hundreds and hundreds of people spread over the sand with smiles and laughter amist the crashing waves. Gathering our belongings we headed for an open area where Luke could chase the birds and Beautiful could collect the rays.
Entering the water with Little Man I noticed a blurry object swimming the water. Knowing sea jellies wouldn't choose Lake Michigan as a home I cast my hand in the cool waters to Earth the object. It seems as though someone had fogotten to throw their sandwich bag away OR the bag was stolen away in a gust of wind. Now it rests in my hands filled with water. I placed it on the shore where I would dispose of this later. Re-entering the water I see that the bag may have been traveling with a friend... a plastic cup. The cup was a bit more wily as I couldn't grab it quick enough before it was lost beneath the surface.

In between enjoying the water and chasing after Luke through the sand I collected a few items that were lost in the water. I didn't go searching for these things, but merely as something brushed my leg or fell into my view I removed them.

As Luke's eyes were becoming heavy we packed up and headed for the car. I gathered the waste I removed from the Lake's waters and placed them into the trash bin near the parking lot. Unable to contain my mind I wondered how much more was out there. The hundreds of people scattered around the Michigan sands on that day could help keep our waters pure if they could take 15 miuntes and remove something in the waters or sand that shouldn't be there.

The people of this Earth have the mentality to think "Someone else will get it OR someone else gets paid to clean it." I practiced that same thought for my first half an hour on the beach that day. I don't leave anyhting whenever I visist the beach but maybe a splash of urine from the boy and myself in the water (it's water, it's cold, and the bathroom was atleast 500 yards away people) On this day I chose only to leave my footprints.

Comments

I love how GREEN you've become with me! :)
Nickie said…
I just want to say "thank you". I hope our generation becomes more aware of this.
High five for posting it on a blog too! :)
Enough with the "someone else gets paid to clean this" attitude. It is all our planet, and there is no reason that everyone can't do a little bit to pitch in.
Thanks, that was refreshing!

Popular posts from this blog

A Fond Farewell

Just the Three of Us

Friends